segunda-feira, 7 de março de 2016

Maria Kramer @ Dance Music 101

Maria Kramer is with Sony Music Entertainment as Product Manager Dance


Life: when was the moment you figured out that Dance Music was meant to you?

When I was 13 (three-fourths). We had a youth club in my hometown where all different cliques came together after work or school to hangout. This building was huge and had a hall, which was made for throwing parties. I was actually not allowed to go there (minimum age was 14) but the club head was a punker and he was friend with my mom, so he faked my member sheet. One day they threw a rave with some famous DJs and when I entered the club that night, I got literally blown away by the music and atmosphere. In that moment I knew, that Techno was meant for me.


Laugh: when was the last time you had real fun?

Oh that’s easy. I laugh everyday. But if I have to name a specific moment I would say, my ByeByeBerlin Party last September. As I had to move from Berlin to Munich after 11 years, to start my new Job at Sony. So I called my closest friends and we all went to party at About Blank on Sunday noon. It was special cause I never had them all together at once and didn’t see some of them for a long time. Long story short, after a few hours dancing I got kicked out of the club by a bouncer and that was the first time ever I got kicked out. I swear. Plus it’s not really easy for me to be kicked out of a club in Berlin. One of my friends got back inside and informed my crew and everybody came out immediatly and we were laughing tears on the street and went to another club where we stayed for another 10hrs with uncountable moments of fun. For me, that was a special day/night last year. To be kicked out of club was the missing thing on my Berlin list and I could leave this town with a huge smile and so many close friends.


Love: name the one thing you love more than anything – and why is that?

My family – cause’ it’s my family J you only have one and I’m proud and grateful to have them. (Oh! And the Internet, of course! ;) )


Past: name a significant moment in your career in Dance Music – and why is that?

That’s pretty tough for me. I had a few significant moments recently. But if I have to name one which was significant in my dance music career, it is defo that moment when I met my (now ex-) Warner colleague Julia Labonte. She opened the door to the major business for me and we were such a great dance team. All other achievements like awards, breaking artists, speaking on conferences at the other end of the world to name a few, are based on that moment.

My move to Berlin back in the days was defo significant for my electronic music career, too.


Present: what do you think that is trending today in music, clubs and festivals?

Music wise I’d say, that Future/Melodic House is dead but the mass of tracks and artists trying to copy this style is unbelievable high. Everybody in the biz wants to know what’s next but nobody takes a risk and just try new stuff. Personally, I think only the artists who are brave enough to try new styles or just mix styles with quality will have a chance in the future.

Festival wise I’d say the trend goes in 2 directions. One direction goes to more and more huge mainstream festivals with a mix of EDM, POP, R’n’B crossover Acts for the mass. The other directions goes to small, boutique festivals with a dedicated music programming for music lovers and nerds. The middle is dying.

Club wise, I hope that I’m wrong cause’ the trend I see is that clubs are closing everywhere.


Future: where is industry heading in the years to come?

Digital is the key word. I mean, more digital. I’m a digital native and a whole generation came after me but the industry is still at the beginning.

Also, I hope that the industry is heading back to quality in matters of music productions and events instead of quantity like nowadays.




Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário