segunda-feira, 1 de agosto de 2016

Edo van Duyn @ Dance Music 101

Edo van Duyn is a co-founder in the Brazilian talent agency Plus Talent and also Director of Tours & Events with SFX South America.


Life: when was the moment you figured out that Dance Music was meant to you?

I fell into club life and dance music almost by accident. I was living in London in the 90s, and was a Journlist for TimeOut magazine. One weekend David Swindells (who was the editor for the Club section reviews) asked me to go and review some clubs... So I spent the whole weekend checking out clubs… I was hooked. From there i got to know every club, every doorman, every DJ in London… I’d go to Velvet Rooms on a Wednesday to see Carl Cox play for 500 people and stand next to the bar with Paul Oakenfold, Pete Tong hanging out amongst the crowd... relaxed… that was just normal London... an amazing time. Just music. No Co2 or Green rooms… just great house, techno. Garage and jungle music everywhere. I then started doing parties in London and well… Somehow I ended up in Brasil ;)


Laugh: when was the last time you had real fun?

Actually couple of weeks in London. I met with some of my oldest friends from when I was growing up in the UK. Nothing beats childhood friendships…


Love: name the one thing you love more than anything – and why is that?

My family. I would do anything for them. I have a small group of friends that i also consider family. I’m very loyal. Like a pitbull ;) Family is everything.


Past: name a significant moment in your career in Dance Music – and why is that?

When we broke Dj Marky and Patife onto the world stage and Marky broke into the UK pop charts with ‘LK” in 2002. Then people took notice and realized we weren’t just a bunch of crazy kids from East London and Penha LOL


Present: what do you think that is trending today in music, clubs and festivals?

The ‘Day-Time” experience is what is really dominating… I also prefer this. Music wise there’s a lot of change. A lot of mid-range artists will disappear. The underground scene is stronger than ever from Techno to Drum n Bass - you just need to know where to look. And the big, established, legacy acts are also doing better than ever... Names like Armin, Steve Angello, Guetta etc… because they have legitimacy, they have relevance (still produce consistent good music) and quite frankly, they’re on another level…. It’s no surprise some of the established names still strong have a strong “base” of actually having been and still are great Djs. They have Dj skills…. That’s actually unusual in the business. Brazil is a whole other story... Here - as usual - things are just polarized between the so-called ‘underground” and the “commercial” side of things…. I love Brazil but I have to spend time abroad to keep my faith in the diversity of dance music. And it’s stronger then ever I am happy to report ;)

Future: where is industry heading in the years to come?

More diversity. More independent Artists and smaller boutique and locally-created Festivals. And Dance Music will start to have a stronger voice. The only thing we need to do more is get more ‘political’. Dance music doesn’t stand up enough to the BS we see out there… IS, racism, the divisive politics of Trump etc... Dance music is all about Unity and Diversity and would love to figure out a way to mobilize the millions of dance music fans out there…. That said, I do see a positive generation out there. The world is not as fucked as the media makes it out to be.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário