segunda-feira, 1 de fevereiro de 2016

Jon Berry @ Dance Music 101

Jon Berry, career manager from Kompakt Records.

- Life: when was the moment you figured out that Dance Music was meant to you?

I was lost in a Brooklyn warehouse party called Storm Rave. Felt amazing to be caught in an inexplicable power and groove that I barely understood at that time. Left me hungry to understand it more.

- Laugh: when was the last time you had real fun?

Ah - well last weekend was pretty fun…2 of our acts Patrice Bäumel and Kölsch were spinning at Watergate then I went over to see The Mole at Chalet here in in Berlin. Took an old friend from New York and slaved to the rhythm. We laughed a lot.

- Love: name the one thing you love more than anything – and why is that?

I love my dog Maisy aka Miss Marple. She’s an endearing creature that sticks beside me through the thick and thin. Probably because I feed here more than anything.

- Past: name a significant moment in your career in Dance Music – and why is that?

I think when I was working for Force Inc. and neighbours with Akufen in Montreal. He came upstairs with a version of his classic album “My Way” and played it to me for the first time. It was such a magical moment in music at that time - we actually shared tears of happiness as it was obviously going to be such a major accomplishment for him.

- Present: what do you think that is trending today in music, clubs and festivals?

From my perspective (the world of dance music that I / Kompakt inhabit), many of the festivals seem to be caught in a safety loop of booking the same artists over and over again. If you see the line ups for this summer most of the festivals all read quite similarly….I cant see this working for the long term but its been going on for years…I wish more risks were being taken as music couldn’t be in a better place - there is so much going on and there’s so much of everything for everyone. Its a great era right now and no shortage of amazing artists creating.

- Future: where is industry heading in the years to come?

Survival of the fittest! Its a challenging time in the business but Kompakt always manages to squeeze by. Good music prevails I suppose.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário