segunda-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2017

Kristen Agee @ Dance Music 101

Kristen Agee - a classically trained violinist, bassist and sound engineer who resides in Los Angeles - is the CEO and founder of 411 Music Group, a company that provides synchronization licensing, publishing, administration and digital distribution for artists and composers. Agee secures global partnerships for 411 and oversees creative and strategic business development. Three years after starting 411, The Coca-Cola Company featured Agee in a Q&A with the head of global music marketing, Joe Belliotti. 
Read the full Coca-Cola interview at:
Coca-Cola Unbottled

- Life: when was the moment you figured out that Dance Music was meant for you?

I went to raves and listened to Drum and Bass albums back in high school. I have a diverse musical background, so I’ve always been interested in multiple genres. I started playing drums at the age of 7, then guitar at 9, then violin at the age of 11, which is really what led me on a path of music. When I moved to LA at 18, I went to sound engineering school, learned to record and then picked up the bass guitar. Growing up, I listened to Classical, Punk Rock, Classic Rock, Alt Rock, some Jazz, Pop and Electronic. I expanded my horizons more when I started writing and working in synchronization and became more entrenched in the electronic music scene as I learned about recording and programming.

- Laugh: when was the last time you had real fun?

I have a lot of fun strategizing and talking about music. Being totally honest, coming to Brazil for RMC was a definite highlight of the year. I connected with a lot of producers, composers and fellow music publishers and record labels. Talking about music and hearing artists from all over the globe is educational for me and provides a more comprehensive perspective on the industry as a whole.

- Love: name the one thing you love more than anything – and why is that?

Obvious answer: Music….and my dogs….and my friends and family, not necessarily in that order ;)

- Past: name a significant moment in your career in Dance Music – and why is that?

I didn’t have a career in Dance Music until I started 411 Music Group and signed DJs. When I was writing in the studio more, I used to watch various tutorials from my favorite DJs explaining how to create sounds in different programs like Pro-Tools and Ableton and learned how to use various plug-ins.  I always thought these producers are always going to be better at this than me, so I started curating music and repping artists instead. Artist-wise, I remember seeing Concord Dawn in LA back in 2006 and then Benga and Pendulum play at the Melkweg in Amsterdam in 2010. Those shows sort of took me down the EDM/Drum & Bass rabbit hole a bit.

- Present: what do you think is trending today in music, clubs and festivals?

A lot of mainstream artists are borrowing beats and synth sounds from the electronic music scene. It’s different in every territory, but a lot of the electronic music trends start outside of the states and then slowly trickle over. The electronic music scene heavily influences a lot of the US hits. It’s impressive to hear each culture bring something new to the table in whatever music is being created. For example, hearing the Brazilian influences in the electronic music while I was there was really cool. The mixing of cultures and blurring of genres allows for more creative portals to open and possibly have another genre or new artists emerge. 


- Future: where is industry heading in the years to come?

We’ve been moving towards digital for a long time now. That will continue. Creatively, I think we’re in for a shakeup. People can find and listen to whatever they want. So, it’s going to take some serious creativity and good songwriting to break away from the noise and grab people’s attention. I’m looking forward to hearing what that sounds like. 


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário