segunda-feira, 25 de abril de 2016

Richard Hoare @ Dance Music 101

Richard Hoare runs Hoare Associates Limited, a forward thinking music business affairs consultancy, focused on independent and electronic music and which provides advice to artists and companies working in music.


Life: when was the moment you figured out that Dance Music was meant to you?

When I bought my first keyboard, and joined my first band, aged 9. My bandmate was a little more determined to succeed as a musician than me (he's called Jono Grant, and is now 1/3 of Above & Beyond).


Laugh: when was the last time you had real fun?

I am fortunate enough to get to play records most weekends (7" vinyl only, all recorded at least 30 years ago) and this weekend we got to go back to back with a DJ who plays on 2 gramophones from the 1930s, playing exclusively 78rpm shellac records - we played to a packed crowd, lots of classic rock and roll, R&B, soul and country selections - a million miles away from the type of music I deal with in my day to day work - but it was a LOT of fun!


Love: name the one thing you love more than anything – and why is that?

Aside from my wife and 2 sons, my next biggest passion is collecting 7" 45rpm singles (which I'm aware are in fact usually 33rpm in Brazil...!).


Past: name a significant moment in your career in Dance Music – and why is that?

Starting my own firm last year - it was a big decision leaving the London firm which I'd worked at for 10 years - but I was fortunate that many of my clients decided to join me in the new venture, and I'm incredibly proud of the small, select and diverse roster which we now represent.


Present: what do you think that is trending today in music, clubs and festivals?

Authenticity - there is no short cut to it - careers can be built very quickly in the current climate - but to sustain that career, it feels like hard work, and being true to the roots of whichever scene or sub-genre an artist has grown out of, are the only real path to longevity and lasting success.


Future: where is industry heading in the years to come?

Who knows! - the book "the future of music" predicted nearly 10 years ago that recorded music would become "like water" ​​i.e. a commodity which is ubiquitously available, and seemingly free - and many of those predictions have come true - we're really in the very early stages of the new landscape is being carved by the new streaming models - my personal feeling is that with music becoming ubiquitous, many more music fans will become increasingly informed and selective about the quality and origin of the music which they consume.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário