segunda-feira, 4 de abril de 2016

Andi Durrant @ Dance Music 101

Andi Durrant, is a radio presenter, DJ and music producer. He currently hosts “The Electrik Playground” radio show on various radio stations around the world and is the CEO and founder of “This Is Distorted”.

- Life: when was the moment you figured out that Dance Music was meant to you?

It’s hard to pinpoint 1 single moment – as a child of the 80s my dad was always playing Pet Shop Boys and Kraftwerk in the house and I was obsessed with his vinyl collection so electronic music was always what I listened to, but when I was 14 I went on a German Exchange trip with school. It was 1995 and at the time ID&T’s hardcore Gabba compilations “Thunderdome” were massive in Germany and the Netherlands and all the local kids were listening to them.. Coming from England I’d never heard anything like it and it sounded so rebellious and incredible. One evening we sneaked (well underage) into a club called "Magic 3” and I heard a track that was soooo amazing (it turned out to be Robert Miles “Children”) and when a got home I spent months trying to get hold of a copy. In 1997 a radio station called Kiss 105 started in my home city of Leeds and they played everything from classic disco to early house and big European dance anthems.. Growing up in a boring suburban town in the North of England it sounded like Aliens had landed and the music was from out of space.. From then I was addicted and I did everything I could to get a job there working as a tea-boy and then technical operator at the weekend’s while I was finishing school.

- Laugh: when was the last time you had real fun?

I have a big group of friends I’ve known since I was 5 years old and we’re a very close group – we’ve been to school together, grown up, had lots of adventures and started our own families. Twice a year us boys pack up our cars and camp out for a few days at the Drag Racing where we drink, bbq and race silly cars.. More recently I had a lot of fun last night sniping a french kid playing online GTA V.. But that’s a bit pathetic for a 35yr man right? Lol.

- Love: name the one thing you love more than anything – and why is that?

I have to say my family – I’m very lucky to have an amazing wife and 3 little boys – aged 6, 5 and 18 months old, as well as 3 dogs and some chickens.. so my house is very very loud! Travelling around the world working and Djing has been an absolute privilege, but there’s nothing like coming home to lots of smiling faces :)

- Past: name a significant moment in your career in Dance Music – and why is that?

I’ve been very lucky so there’s too many to mention, but interviewing people like Daft Punk, The Prodigy and The Pet Shop boys are up there, along with playing festivals like Fort Dance in Russia, Creamfields main stage, the Privilege Ibiza closing party with Tiesto, and winning the Sony Gold award for Music Broadcaster of the Year. In the last few years helping guide the radio careers of some of my musical heroes and favourite new artists has been incredibly rewarding.

- Present: what do you think that is trending today in music, clubs and festivals?

Especially in the UK and Europe we are seeing the big room EDM festival sound starting to slow down. There seems to be a much bigger focus on the other genres and the slightly more underground scenes – from future house and bass, tech and D&B.

- Future: where is industry heading in the years to come?

I wish I knew exactly where it was heading.. If I could predict I could be a very rich man! :) Most styles come and go, but after 25 years modern dance music is still getting bigger and bigger. I think the modern streaming-music world will open us up to even more young people around the world. I think we’ll see many more artists and DJ’s creating their own eco-systems.. There is becoming less need for the major record labels, the big radio stations and media networks.. Artists can connect with their fans directly in way they never have before, so the power is coming back to the creators. I also hope that there’s a little less focus on the massive DJ fees and the “Las Vegas Effect” so that clubs and events in other parts of the world can afford to book the big names.. Dance music was always for the people.. Not just the rich elite.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário