segunda-feira, 20 de junho de 2016

Hans Hess @ Dance Music 101

Hans Hess is Head of International Marketing & Brand Development at Egg LDN.


- Life: when was the moment you figured out that Dance Music was meant to you?

At the age of 15/16 I bought Blues and Soul magazine which was writing about a new form of music that was making waves in Chicago at that time, and was eventually tagged ‘House’ music after the city’s legendary Warehouse Club where Frankie Knuckles played.At that time electro was really huge and I was deeply into it and the ‘House’ sound was a natural progression of the sounds around and the DJs started fusing electro and house together. As House Music started to break through more and more with tracks like ‘Jack Your Body’ I started dabbling in putting on nights in the North of England, which were a huge success and then I realised that maybe I could forge a career in this.


- Laugh: when was the last time you had real fun?

I believe parties are places where people go to have fun but this has become more and more difficult with the whole emergence of the VIP culture. Also the characters which you used to see at every party are not so prevalent but there’s never been a time in my career when I’ve not had fun being involved running record labels, promoting events and generally raving and connecting with people who share the same love of music and good times. I have to say that I had real fun at Zaina Raadt’s free party for all lovers of dance music at the Rio Music Conference, which engaged all kinds of people from the favelas to the more well-off parts of town, and where everyone, including me had a smile on their face and which was huge fun. Can’t wait for next year’s RMC :-)


- Love: name the one thing you love more than anything – and why is that?

Obviously my family without a doubt but my second love is the passion that I have for dance music and that flame will never be extinguished. There’s nothing more pleasurable than hearing a unique track on the dancefloor and I’m buzzing having just returned from Sonar from the Frankie & Sandrino track ‘Acamar’, which is also huge in Ibiza right now.


- Past: name a significant moment in your career in Dance Music – and why is that?

Winning the Muzik Magazine Music Week Award for Best Independent Record Label Of The Year with Eukatech/UCMG Records was absolutely amazing. Standing in front of 2,000 of your peers and pals and about 26 International radio and TV stations to receive the award was such a good feeling, and I was doubly chuffed to celebrate it with my wife and work partners at that time. I still treasure this award and it stands proudly on a shelf at my home.


- Present: what do you think that is trending today in music, clubs and festivals?

As I mentioned earlier club culture has seen a massive emergence of the VIP culture and it’s all gone rather upmarket. For instance, now Glastonbury has 20 wristbands for different divisions of VIP areas and there’s also VIP areas at Burning Man Festival, so you can imagine it’s not so inclusive. It’s not so much based on the dance floor but really though it’s still all about the music and hanging out with like-minded party people.


- Future: where is industry heading in the years to come?

The design element in clubs and production is where I see it heading as it becomes more important to put on a show and return to the theatrical side of putting on parties and events. That’s what we’ve been focusing on at Egg LDN through successful events like our Berlin Berlin and Gold Diggers parties, and we’re working with international companies to bring cutting edge design and production to the club as part of its natural evolution. It’s not just about booking the latest big name DJ and and a few lights - people want value for money in an inclusive environment where people can come together and enjoy themselves and feel free and safe. The industry must never lose sight of the fact that’s its all about bringing people together in an entertaining way using all the sophisticated elements now available.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário